Monday, July 31, 2006

Glorified Sale?


In case you missed it this weekend August 4-6 is a sales tax holiday in Tennessee. It's the state's way of giving residents a tax rebate from last years budget surplus. Is it just me or does this have the potential for corruption? I did a post last month about how often I see stores mark up prices before a sale. Could the same happen here? Or is it possible that merchants may cancel sales in order to make more money on a weekend that they know sales will be up? I'm sure plenty of stores will have legitimate sales to entice shoppers into their stores but I also expect plenty of scams.

The holiday is timed so that it falls during back to schools shopping but what about those who don't have kids? How do they get there share of the surplus? Now, I do have kids and I will do some shopping this weekend but it has more to do with necessity than a sales tax holiday. The sales tax in Davidson Co. where I live is 9.25%. That means I'll save less than a dime on that $1.00 box of crayons. If there is a budget surplus. How about you cut me a check for my portion or possibly lower my property taxes. It's kind of like those scams where you have to send them money to get your sweepstakes winnings. In order to get my rebate I have to spend more money. Doesn't seem like much of a rebate to me.
For more on the tax holiday:
http://state.tn.us/revenue/hottopics/salestaxholiday.htm

No comments:

The views of Lewis are his own and do not express the views of his employer or any other organization that he may be affiliated with.