Friday, November 03, 2006

First Holiday Party

The clothes are picked out and on the bed awaiting me. My girlfriend is in the middle of her beauty regiment and our departure is eminent. An early holiday party for her job. I hate these things. She has a new job this year and that will make it worse. At least at the old job those guys already knew about me and I didn't have to answer all of those questions. Where do you work? How long have you been there? How did you get into that? How many times a week do you work out? How much can you bench. Maybe I should type up all my responses and hand them out. Yes, I am non sociable and that's not going to change. I don't like to be bothered unless I know you.

Another problem is that I will likely be the only black person there. That's not a problem for me but it is for the white people. I'm fine being around white people. I've been around white people my whole life. I'm kind of used to them by now. For some reason when I go to these things it seems that everyone wants to make feel more comfortable. Like I'm part of the group. Since I am the only black person they all know my name and they approach me like we have known each other for years."Hi Lewis good to see ya buddy" They don't realize that I am fine and I don't want to feel like part of the group. What want is to be left alone. However, most of the time there is an open bar. Which is a pretty good thing. The only thing better than beer is free beer. Better go she is getting impatient. Wish me luck.

No comments:

The views of Lewis are his own and do not express the views of his employer or any other organization that he may be affiliated with.