Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Vandalism Update

I have posted here (1 2 3 ) before about the vandalism I had to endure last month. Updating this saga the 19 year old kid that was involved has now been arrested in this case and now he has a weapons charge to go along with it. He was on his way to the work last Monday when he pasted an officer without his seat belt on and not using his blinker. The officer pulled him over and then of course found that a warrant had been issued for his arrest. Upon being asked if he had any weapons on him or in his car he told he did and the officer found a LOADED gun. How scary is that. Just last month I was chasing this same kid through my neighbors back yard and he could have be packing heat.

My girlfriend and I had to go to a hearing the Friday before Christmaws where we both had to testify. The judge did find there was enough evidence to send him to the grand jury. She also shot down a request to lower his $35,000 bond. So he probably spent Christmas in jail unless his family came up with $3,500.

Although I am still really mad about what happen I can't help but feel a little sorry for him and a lot sorry for his parents. I met them the day after this happened and they seem like really nice, church going people and I know this has to be really tough for them. The day they came over I could see the heartbreak in his mothers eyes. I'm not sure why I feel sorry for him. He was being a little shit on the phone the day after and I would love to have 15 minutes alone with him in a back room some where. Maybe it's a black thing. There are so many black kids that go down the wrong path I hate to see one start his adulthood with the deck already stacked against him with a felony over something stupid like this.

No comments:

The views of Lewis are his own and do not express the views of his employer or any other organization that he may be affiliated with.