Monday, January 15, 2007

Resolution in the Memory of my Cousin

I have never been much into resolutions. I believe in just doing what needs to be done. I don’t need a promise to myself to make changes in my life. I am making an exception this year. I am making a late resolution to stay more in touch with family and friends back home. Yesterday I learned that my cousin past away suddenly. She had been sick lately but I don’t think anyone saw this coming. We saw a lot of each other growing up but our encounters became few and far between after we grew up and I moved away. She had two sons that I really don’t even know. There have been far too many times that I have lost touch people only to have our paths finally cross under tragic circumstances. My half brother died several years ago and it had been nearly 15 years since we had seen or spoken to each other. It’s not that we didn't get along. He moved to Texas and I moved to Nashville and our paths never crossed again. He would come into town when I didn’t and vice versa. The point is I have to do a better job keeping in touch with people. I will see some relatives at the funeral that I haven’t seen in years and they live in the same county as my parents. I just don’t take the time to seek them out when I’m in town or call and let them know that I am coming. I am making a resolution to do better and if most people thought about it they probably could do a better job keeping in touch with family and friends themselves. I encourage anyone reading this to evaluate there personal relationships and see if there are people that they have lost touch with. If so make an effort this week to reach out to someone you love that you haven’t spoken to in awhile. You never know it might be your last chance.

2 comments:

Kimmer said...

You're absolutely right. You never know when that last chance will be, so we must always take advantage of the time we have. We are never guaranteed "the next time".

Lynnster said...

I am so very sorry for your loss.

I lost several of my best friends at a very young age, late teens and twenties, and after the third hit I made a vow to myself to keep in touch with those I care for and always make sure they know how I feel about them. Many years later, I have done a sort of good job sticking to that, but I can still do better than I do and need to do better. Thanks for the reminder, and again, so very sorry for your loss.

The views of Lewis are his own and do not express the views of his employer or any other organization that he may be affiliated with.