Monday, September 11, 2006

Where were you: 9-11-01

Today of course is the fifth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. So, I was talking to my girlfriend this morning about where we both were when it happen. You hear people talk about these things all the time about where they were when they found out about Kennedy or where they were during the first space shuttle accident. 9/11 is just that kind of historic event. Funny thing is I don't remember a lot more than that about that day. I was up early watching Good Morning America. I assume that I had gotten up with my son for school but I couldn't have taken my daughter to preschool or I wouldn't have been home. Well, they were interviewing a witness who said that it didn't look like an accident to her. The anchors replied "what do you mean you don't think it was an accident". As she started to explain I remember seeing something quickly flash through the camera lens. They had a tight shot of the first tower and remember thinking it was a shadow. Then the witness screamed "oh my god another plane hit the other tower". This made me stand up and say out loud "oh &*$%^@ we are under attack. I was glued to the tube for a while then I had to leave to do something but I don't remember what it was. On my way back home I turned on talk radio to see if there were any updates and a voice said it looks like the second tower is about to fall. I thought second tower what happen to the first one. I was about a 3 blocks from my house and I burned rubber trying to get home in time. It fell as I parked the car and I got in just in time to see the last bit hit the ground. I never thought for a moment that either would collapse. I probably wouldn't have left if I had. Not that I take pleasure in seeing people die but I have worked in news for along time and I know when I'm seeing something historic.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was in South Korea. My AH-64A Apache helicopter squadron had just returned from aerial gunner qualification that day. As we sat in the day room having some pizza and many beers, one of the other pilots ran into the room and told us a plane hit the WTC. We watched as the second plane hit and the towers fell. The next day, every single one of our Apaches were armed and we were ready to take on the entire world. "Let North Korea mess with us now" was very popular. My life in the Army hasn't been the same since. I've served in Iraq, and protected a lot of good soldiers on the ground. I couldn't ask for a better job in the entire world.

The views of Lewis are his own and do not express the views of his employer or any other organization that he may be affiliated with.