Friday, September 29, 2006

How safe are our schools

The latest tragedy in Colorado coupled with my daughters school play this morning has got me thinking about school safety. An intruder could walk into any Metro Nashville school right now armed and there is nothing anyone could do about it. My son's high school has several entrances and anyone could gain entry from any direction. It does have a resource officer office but plenty of damage could be done before they could do anything about it. In fact if a intruder knew where that office was they could ambush it with no problem.

On the other hand my two daughter's school has all locked doors and you have to be buzzed in at the front. Even this system would not stop a gunman. When I go to the school like this morning. I just ring the bell and the secretary looks to see that someone is there and she buzzes them in. Another way to get in is to just wait until someone leaves and walk in that way. Theres no security guard or metal detectors. It scares me really. It isn't like this hasn't happened in Tennessee before.

I don't know what the answer is to keep our children safe at school. I know money is an issue. I know that no system is going to be fool proof. I just hope someone fixes it before god forbid something happens to one of my children.

No comments:

The views of Lewis are his own and do not express the views of his employer or any other organization that he may be affiliated with.