Monday, September 18, 2006

I hate the Gators but I had fun


I have been following the Vols since I was a child. My father got me into it at a young age. Every since I can remember I have taken a lot of crap from Gator fans in our stadium. For three plus hours ever couple of years it's the chomp and smack talking. I hate those guys. Every time I go to this game Tennessee gets beat down. I mean a royal butt kicking. It has gotten to the point where I don't even like going to that game at all. If you check the history between the two programs and see every time Tennessee has gotten beat really bad I was there. With the exception of this past Saturday. For the first time I can remember I saw us take the lead with me in the stadium. Although we lost and it sucks to lose to those guys again it was one of the best times I can recall at a Tennessee game. My girlfriend and I had a great time. With the exception of the last 5 minutes. I actually let go a little. Ok, I let go a lot. She couldn't believe what she was seeing when I screamed with elation when Tennessee intercepted a pass for a touchdown(it was called back on ticky tack roughing call). I really felt like part of the game. When they had the ball I wanted them to hear me and not be able to check off. Maybe one day I'll get to see my Vols beat Florida in person.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I grew up in Tennessee as well, just 50 miles South of Knoxville. Our high school team would sing Rocky Top after every win. My first Vol/Gator game was a basketball game when Dwayne Schintzus was around at UF. Then a few years later my wife and I picked up some tix from some Gator fans heading northbound. You see, my grandfather got to me early and got me into the Gators (when they stunk). My friend, if you think you've had it rough, try growing up a Gator fan just outside of Knoxville. We used to have teen raffles at church where people would pay so much for you to do odd jobs, I had to take these people's niece to some dance AND, AND, watch the UF/UT game and cheer every time the Vols scored. That was the 41-3 (can't remember) in the rain game. Revenge was sweet though, the Gators won that game my new wife and I went to, 31-0 on Tennessee's new grass.
There's nothing quite like this game every year. After these many years, I'm still nervous all week. FSU and UGA get me fired up, but nothing is like winning or losing against UT. Christmas back in Tn after the Gators lose in September with all the family being Vol fans, that's pain brother, but it's not been that painful lately.
However, watch Spurrier, because he's coming for all of us. I love the man, and love the things he did for the Gators, but he's the enemy in November.

The views of Lewis are his own and do not express the views of his employer or any other organization that he may be affiliated with.