Thursday, December 14, 2006

No Santa


Some of the best memories I have of childhood are of Christmas. Writing and mailing a letter to Santa. Decorating the tree with my Mom. Lying in bed not being able to sleep in anticipation of what was under that tree. Asking my parents every hour "can we get up now". This Christmas will have a new memory. It will be the first Christmas in 17 years that I won't be Santa. Don't get me wrong I am buying presents but my kids no longer believe in Ole Saint Nick. I confirmed what I'm sure they have already heard from there friends. It makes my sad. I'm going to miss all the Santa questions. "How does Santa make it around the world in one night daddy". "What would happen if we had fire in the fire place daddy. Would Santa skip our house". I will especially miss pretending to call Santa when they are bad. It's not without it's good points. I don't have to buy gifts from me and Santa. This year everything is from good ole dad. I am handling it much better than I thought I would. It's not easy to tell children that you have lied to them their whole life. My oldest daughter being the inquisitive type wanted to why we lied about it. I told her because of "tradition" and that it makes Christmas more fun. She seemed satisfied with that answer.

Why do my babies have to grow up? I think the thing that makes me the saddest is the thought of all the other things that they will soon out grow. Trick or treating, sitting on my lab, hugging and kissing my goodnight. Where does it end? Next thing you know some boy will be coming over to take one of them on a date. Hmm I better get a gun.

So, this year no writing letters to Santa. No getting up in the middle of the night to put presents under the tree. No leaving milk and cookies for Santa. No fun!

1 comment:

Dinky Chickenshorts said...

My two older kids are past that now, too, and now there's a new dynamic. Not only am I still lying, but I'm asking them to lie as well, to their brother and sister, who still believe. I've always struggled with the lie--especially since we're a Christian family and how do you tell them to keep believing in God, who they can't see, when you've been telling them that Santa exists?
It's a tough one.

The views of Lewis are his own and do not express the views of his employer or any other organization that he may be affiliated with.