Monday, July 09, 2007

Death of the N-word


Monday the NAACP conducted a mock funeral to bury the N-Word during its 98th Annual National Convention in Detroit, Michigan. Much like it did in 1944 symbolically burying the Jim Crow Laws(separate but equal). It is part of the NAACP's STOP Campaign. Which basically wants everyone particularly the media and entertainers from portraying African Americans especially women in a negative light. This of course in the wake of the Michael Richards and Don Imus controversies. (More on the mock funeral) Video

I guess I can applaud the efforts of the NAACP in what is essentially a racial public relations move. I just wonder how effective it will be. I admit I cringe at sound of the word no matter who's mouth it comes out of. I do not use the N-word, nigga, nigger or any other form of the word. It is a personal choice about my own behavior and I hope the behavior of my family. I remember the first time someone called me that to my face. I was 18 years old at a get together of co-workers from the local restaurant I was working at the time. I happen to be the only black person there but I really wasn't bothered by that. I was used to being in situations where I was the only black face in the room. One of the girls there was having a fight with her boyfriend and he turned violent against one of my friends from work. Then out the blue with no provocation he directs a comment my way calling me the now deceased racial epithet. I was stunned. I kind of just stood there looking at him in disbelief. I had heard of people being talk to in that way but it had never happened to me. I was quickly ushered into the nearest bedroom for fear of what I might do once the shock wore off. Which it did and like most young black men I wanted to beat the guy so bad that he would trembled at the thought of calling anybody that again.

Now, twenty years later it doesn't effect me the same way. That word holds no power over me. I have risen above worrying about some good ole boy trying to get a rise out of me by calling my that. I'm not saying that it wouldn't anger me but I refuse to let them see that it does. I think that's where all races have to get too. Whether the slur is the N-word, spic, rag head or wop. Take away the words power. I think you should have your own burial inside your own spirit. Not only that you will not use this language but also that you won't let it affect you.

How effective can something like this really be? Is this going stop red necks and rappers from using that word? I doubt it. Is it worth all the time and effort? I don't know only time will tell. What if it reached the souls of just a few people here and there and those people reached a few others and those reached a few more. And all of those people raised there children that way and so on and so on. Then yes I would say it was worth it. A long journey starts with a single step.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

The views of Lewis are his own and do not express the views of his employer or any other organization that he may be affiliated with.